Monday, September 22, 2014

So Why Do You Create?

Has anyone ever asked you that question before? Have you ever thought about how you would answer? Certainly, there are many people who would do what they do because they enjoy it. Many of them would do it every day with or without getting paid for it. I certainly have, and maybe you've done the same. In fact, if a normal day starts for you with excitement, since you can't wait to jump into a creative project once you get out of bed, then there's a high probability that you're pursuing God's design for your life: You were created to create.

But that still doesn't answer the question of why we create. Sure, we may create because we want to, but what about those days when we don't feel like it? Is it possible to still give God our best on those days? I believe we can and we should. Some will say that creating for them is a form of therapy, helping them cope with difficult things. I know I've been there, and maybe you can also relate to that.

But let's see if we can take this beyond the immediate, personal benefits of creating, and the satisfaction that can bring. When it comes to what drives our need to create, there are certainly things that can be involved, and some of those are not always God's best for us. Sometimes we create in order to compete with other creative people. Sometimes we create in order to get attention or to be approved and popular. 

I'm going to challenge your thinking with this next part. You and I were made in the image of the Creator–not just any creator, but THE Creator. So if we're made in his image, then it should be no surprise that we want to create things. But you and I need to be in that place where we aren't moved by the applause of people or the lack of it. We need to be moved by the things that get God's applause in our lives. 

Why? Because If I have to get man's applause in order to be fulfilled, then eventually I'll do whatever it takes to get that applause. And that kind of mindset will almost always lead to compromise. I think we've all seen how desperately some child stars will strive for that kind of applause as they become adults. Sometimes that turns out very badly, depending on how fans respond.

But you and I don't have to go that route with our creativity. We can keep our eyes fixed on Jesus Christ, the Author and Finisher of our faith. Not only can he guide our creative efforts, but he can be the source and motivation of our creativity. I encourage you today to invite him into your creative time, and allow him to help you make any adjustments necessary. Reminding ourselves that we create in a way that pleases our Savior can help us keep our creative efforts in the right place.

I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well.
–Psalm 139:14 (NKJV)

Podcasts - http://bit.ly/1rfPfHc

On Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/livingcreativelife

drtimwaters@gmail.com

@drtimwaters

1 comment:

  1. Great post! This is going to help me in creating new business ideas.

    ReplyDelete